It was a beautiful day for disc golf, but sad, perhaps, for those who remember the man the tourney honored.
The Don Crane Memorial Huck Finn Open, held Nov. 5, drew 63 players to Huckleberry Park.
Before tee-off, a ceremony was held to remember Don Crane Jr., for whom the course is named. The ceremony was attended by Crane’s son, Dylan, and parents, Don Crane Sr. and Donna Crane.
“It is really great to have his family here. Don was so instrumental in everything that has happened in the disc golf arena in the Tri-State area,” John Shaw of Excitement Disc Golf, the event promoter, said.
The course, which opened 10 years ago, and a recent expansion were designed by Crane, who organized tourneys and taught lessons.
“Don would have loved to see the amount of people supporting the sport he loved. The reason disc golf has become so popular in Hannibal is largely due to him and his enthusiasm,” Aron Lee, assistant director of Hannibal Parks & Recreation, said.
Tournament winners were as follows:
• Open Division: Ryan Anderson of Ottumwa, Iowa, first; Colin Poe, Wappelo, Iowa, second; Derrik Helling, Fort Madison, Iowa, third.
• Grandmasters Division: Eddie Kruse, Fort Madison, Iowa, first; Brad Allen, Wentzville, second; Richard Sheets, Fort Madison, Iowa, third.
• Advanced Women: Debbie Polkinghorne, O’Fallon, first; Bailey Polkinghorne, O’Fallon, second.
• Advanced Masters: Roger Beachy, Mount Pleasant, Iowa, first: Stanley Balke, Eugene, second; Don Moellenbeck, Old Monroe, third.
• Intermediate: Bill Young, Fort Madison, Iowa, first; Brett Mell, St. Louis, second; Mike Urbanc, Peoria, Ill., third.
• Recreational: Dane Jansen, St. Louis, first; Mike LeVart, Wentzville, second; Rodney Schild, Quincy, Ill., third.
• Junior Girls: Virginia Polkinghorne, O’Fallon, first