Hannibal Regional Intensive Care Unit recently received a Top Performance Award from the Society of Critical Care Medicine’s ICU Liberation Campaign.
The ICU Liberation ABCDEF Bundle Improvement Collaborative has teamed up with 77 U.S. ICUs committed to improving outcomes for patients and families by reliably implementing the A-F Bundle. Participating hospitals work with a team of leading national and regional experts to:
• Optimize pain control and reduce sedative exposure and time on mechanical ventilation.
• Increase length of time that patients are free of delirium and coma.
• Improve team approach to early mobilization.
• Engage families to participate in the care and healing of their loved ones.
• Validate compliance and improvement through use of an online data collection tool.
• Enhance teamwork through implementation of evidence-based care.
• Engage with many leading experts who have demonstrated improved patient outcomes through the ABCDEF bundle of care.
• Create partnerships with other institutions doing the same improvement work across the United States.
The ABCDEF elements are as follows:
A : Assess, prevent and manage pain.
B : Both SAT (spontaneous awakening trials) and SBT (spontaneous breathing trials).
C : Choice of analgesia and sedation.
D : Delirium — Assess, prevent and manage.
E : Early mobility and exercise.
F : Family engagement and empowerment.
Within the ABCDEF bundle, the “C” element — choice of analgesia and sedation — focuses on constructing a safe and effective medication regimen for the management of pain and agitation in critically ill adults, consistent with ICU pain, agitation and delirium recommendations.
Hannibal Regional was awarded the Top Team Performance Award for the “C” element.
Dr. Pranav Parikh, ICU medical director and administrative leader of the ICU Liberation group, said, “We are happy to have achieved excellence for the ‘C’ element, and continue to strive for excellence in the other five elements.” Despite the conclusion of the collaborative, work will continue on all elements.
Hannibal Regional Healthcare System serves residents of the Tri-State area from more than 10 locations and includes Hannibal Regional Hospital, Hannibal Regional Medical Group and Hannibal Regional Foundation. Recognized by Healthgrades with a 2016 Outstanding Patient Experience Award, Hannibal Regional is in the top 15 percent in the nation for this category. In addition, Hannibal Regional has also received the 2017 Coronary Intervention Excellence Award, placing it in the top 5 percent in the nation for coronary interventional procedures, and a 2017 Joint Replacement Excellence Award from Healthgrades, which places it among the top 10 percent in the nation for joint replacement procedures. Hannibal Regional Medical Group is a growing multi-specialty physician group delivering primary, specialty and express care services at multiple locations in northeast Missouri. For more information on Hannibal Regional Healthcare System, visit hannibalregional.org.