Hannibal Clinic is celebrating its 60th anniversary in 2017.
The clinic was founded in 1957 by four physicians — General Surgeon Richard M. Strong, OB/GYN Francis R. Burns, Internal Medicine Wyeth Hamlin and Pediatrician Daniel B. Landau. It opened April 24, 1957, at 1001 Broadway in Hannibal.
At the time, the concept of a multi-specialty group of physicians was new and forward thinking. The norm for that era was having ambulance services provided by local funeral homes, or patients were brought to the hospital by family or by emergency room doctors. There were no walk-in clinics. Physicians were on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
In 1959, the clinic moved to a 6,000-square-foot building at 711 Grand Ave. in Hannibal. The building included examination rooms, full laboratory and x-ray facilities, minor surgery, business offices and waiting rooms. Four structures totaling 14,000 square feet were added to the building over time. A business office for accounting, billing and patient accounts was maintained across the street at 696 Grand Ave. By its 25th anniversary in 1982, the clinic was staffed by 14 physicians and 50 full-time and part-time non-physician employees.
In 1993 Hannibal Clinic expanded services with new construction at 100 Medical Drive. The specialties of cardiology, obstetrics and
gynecology and urology occupied this facility in October 1996. An addition to this clinic opened in April 2000 for the specialties of surgery, gastroenterology and pulmonary/critical care. In October 2003, a three-floor addition was opened and all physicians and supporting services from the facilities at Grand and Highway 61 North were moved to the new Hannibal Clinic at 100 Medical Drive.
This location, with all medical specialties in the same building, provides convenience for patients and their families. The building houses 50 physicians, practicing in 18 specialties, and three nurse practitioners.
The clinic at 711 Grand was closed in October 2003, and the facility later was donated to Douglass Community Services.
In addition, Hannibal Clinic has six board certified family practice physicians and three nurse practitioners staffing satellite facilities, including Palmyra, 1988; Bowling Green, 2002; Monroe City, 2006; and Center, 2009.
In July 2000, the Northeast Missouri Ambulatory Surgery Center opened at 98 Medical Drive — formerly 8705 Highway 36 West — in the lower level of the West building. The center is jointly owned and operated by the clinic and Midwest Orthopedic Services in Hannibal.
Hannibal Clinic continues to grow, providing medical care in additional specialties and collaborating with local health care providers to better patient care. Hannibal Clinic is dedicated to providing patients with the best care, close to home.
- By HANNIBALCLINIC.COM