Expect wall-to-wall chocolate when visiting Historic Downtown Hannibal on Saturday, March 11.
The Chocolate Extravaganza, now in its seventh year, continues to grow, and this year includes chocolate and wine pairings, a cooking-with-chocolate demonstration, a cakepop class and, of course, an abundance of chocolate treats including candies, mochas, martinis, muffins, cupcakes, pies and more.
Brought to you by the Historic Hannibal Marketing Council, the popular event features a Chocolate Extravaganza Passport, which serves as your guide to the event and contains five chocolate tickets that may be redeemed for your choice of an abundance of special offers exclusive for passport holders — ranging from chocolate soaps, cashmere scarves, spa treatments and more. Passports also provide entrance to some events and award discounts at some merchant locations. Only 500 passports will be available, and passports have sold out the last two years. The $20 passports may be purchased at chocolateextravaganzahannibal.com.
One of the passports includes a golden ticket, and the lucky holder immediately receives an all-access pass with additional passport tickets and a golden ticket T-shirt.
In addition to the passport giveaways, the weekend will feature live music, a gallery art walk and make-and-take classes.
New at this year’s event is a Chocolatier Trivia Mixer that includes, of course, chocolate-themed questions and an all-you-can eat appetizer bar included with your ticket purchase. Each of the Chocolatier Trivia Challenge winners will receive a free Chocolate Extravaganza Passport. Form a team or come solo and you’ll be teamed up with other trivia and chocolate enthusiasts. The event, which starts at 7 p.m. will be at Finn’s Food and Spirits. Tickets are $15.
Passports and tickets for the Chocolatier Trivia Mixer may be purchased at ChocolateExtravaganzaHannibal.com or at these downtown Hannibal businesses: Ava Goldworks, Chocolaterie Stam, Danni Nicole’s, Java Jive, Main Street 101, Mark Twain Museum Gallery, Mark Twain Dinette, Mark Twain Book & Gift, Mississippi Marketplace, the Powder Room and the Wine Stoppe.
More information is available by contacting Dena Ellis at the Mark Twain Museum at 573-221- 9010, ext. 403, or Kenna Bogue at Mark Twain Dinette at 573-221- 5511.
- By KENNA BOGUE
FRIDAY, MARCH 10
7 p.m .: Chocolatier Trivia Mixer at Finn’s Food and Spirits
All-you-can-eat appetizer bar; winners receive a free Chocolate
Extravaganza Passport. Come as a team, or come solo and you’ll be teamed up with other players. $15.
SATURDAY, MARCH 11
9 a.m. to 4 p.m .: Anniversary Sale Kick-Off, Ayer’s Pottery. Save 29 percent on all regularly priced pottery. Steve Ayers is celebrating more than 40 years as a potter.
10 a.m. to 6 p.m .: Guessing game to win jewelry, AVA Goldworks
Guess the number of chocolates in the jar to win a piece of AVA jewelry. Free.
11 a.m. and 2 p.m .: Cooking demonstration, Mississippi Marketplace. Learn how to make chocolate gravy — fun for children and adults. Sample the chocolate gravy on biscuits. Free
11 a.m. to 2 p.m .: Learn to use a fabric yo-yo maker, Bits & Pieces.
Ideas for embellishing clothing and accessories. Free.
1 to 3 p.m .: The Museum and The Chocolate Factory, Mark Twain Boyhood Home & Museum
family-fun event with chocolate games and prizes based on the characters of the 1971 movie “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” All ages can enjoy games including Charlie Bucket’s newspaper toss and Violet Beauregarde’s grape stomp and compete in Augustus Gloop’s pie-eating contest, Veruca Salt’s egg-putting challenge and Willy Wonka’s pin-the-hat game — and snap a photo in Mike Teavee’s Wonka Vision Studio Booth. Chocolate Passport Ticket or $6.
2 to 6 p.m .: Wine tasting, Badger Cheese Haus. Taste a variety of wines, including, of course, chocolate wine. $6.
2 to 4 p.m .: Ribbon embellishment demonstration, Bits & Pieces
Ribbons can be used to beautify clothing, bags and more. Free.
3 to 5 p.m .: Ned Behrensmeyer, pianist, Java Jive. Enjoy a mix of classical, rag-time and modern music while sipping hot chocolate or espresso over a chocolate. Free.
3 to 5 p.m. : Cakepop-making class, Mark Twain Dinette. Cakepops are almost as much fun to make as they are to eat. We’ll provide the cake, melting chocolate, decorations and other supplies. $30 includes supplies and instruction to make 12 cakepops per student. Register at marktwaindinette.com/cakepopclass
3 to 5 p.m. : Passport-holders’ wine tasting, Chocolaterie Stam
Free tastings to those with a Chocolate Extravaganza Passport.
7 p.m. : Live music, Wine Stoppe
No cover charge.
Here is a listing of benefits of the Chocolate Extravaganza Passport. Redeem your passport tickets for five items from those listed here.
• Ava Goldworks : Petite sterling silver key pendant, without chain.
• Ayer’s Pottery : Twain quote coaster.
• Badger Cheese Haus : Chocolate fudge cheese spread.
• Bits & Pieces : Creative Grids ruler 6.5” x 2.5” that is easy to carry, great for small cuts, paper or fabric.
• Chocolaterie Stam : Choice of medium gelato or three bon bons.
• Danni Nicole’s : Scarf.
• Encore Emporium : Burlap bag filled with chocolate candy.
• Esthetics Studio : Chocolate bath bomb; Drop this moisturizing bomb into your bath for soft skin.
• Finn’s Food & Spirits : White chocolate martini.
• Hannibal History Museum : Altered art key pendant.
• Java Jive : Your choice of chocolate dessert served with a small mocha or hot chocolate.
• Labinnah Bistro : Free glass of wine or dessert with entree purchase.
• Main Street 101 Upscale/Resale : Chocolate muffin.
• Main Street Wine Stoppe : Chocolate rasberry pudding shots.
• Mark Twain Book & Gift Shop : Bag of assorted chocolates.
• Mark Twain Boyhood Home & Museum : Red and gold Lexi lighted tip pen and stylus with Mark Twain signature and/or entry to the Museum and the Chocolate Factory, event, 1 to 3 p.m.
• Mark Twain Brewing Co. : Bite-sized dessert with 4-ounce chocolate coffee stout taster.
• Mississippi Marketplace : Rabbit Creek brownie mix.
• Paddlewheel Popcorn Candy Co. : Spring Thaw, chocolate popcorn. drizzled with white icing.
• Savannah’s Upscale/Resale : Chocolate goodies.
• Mark Twain Dinette : Large hand-mixed chocolate shake or malt and a basket of french fries.
• The Powder Room : Chocolate martini with chocolate hand massage followed by hands dipped in chocolate paraffin.